3 Amazing Books for Speech Therapy: Your Next Great Read is Here!

I recently responded to a request for interesting and educational picture books for children.  The article was published recently, and I think it's worth taking a look at.
book ideas



Mine were not the only recommendations, of course, and some of the books listed I hadn't heard of.
So, in the interest of good read-aloud time, here is a link to the article and the list.
Each book has a brief description.  

Can you tell which books I recommended? 
 Aunt Isabel Tells a Good One was one

The Snowy Day was another
and Tommy at the Grocery Store  (one of my own kids' favorites! and perfect for an SLP).  



read good books
The article itself contains links to the books.


I love each of these for different reasons.

Aunt Isabel tells her niece and nephew a wonderful story while in the process teaching them how a story is created. I've taught many children about story elements with this one.

The Snowy Day is a classic. It's deceptively simple and good for talking about sequences in a story.  Not only is there the overall sequence of events in the whole story, but you can break the boy's day into 2 distinct parts: in the snow and in the house.  I used to work this book into my seasons theme in therapy.

You can find 5-day shared reading lessons for those two books in my TPT store here and here. Or just use 1 or 2 of the activities in speech therapy as simple book companion lessons.

And Tommy.... I can't say enough about this book that will tickle your funny bone.  Tommy's mother accidentally leaves him at the grocery store.  A procession of other customers move him about the store, each explaining why he belongs in a different department; "He has ears" so he must belong with the corn.  "He has legs" so he should go with the tables and chairs.
Poor Tommy finally is rescued by his mother.  Wonderful for part and whole discussions.

Enjoy!
And if you're looking for some guidance during your read aloud time to get the best language impact, take a look at my shared reading strategies and templates resource

.

Keep on reading, and.... keep on talking (about books).






No comments

Post a Comment